Tangent Animation is the vision of Animation and Film Production industry professionals, with combined experience that encompasses CG Animation, Live Action Film Production, Visual Effects, and Software Development. Tangent Animation employs open source solutions to create high quality animated feature films. What sets us apart from other studios is our use of Blender, an open source software to make our animated films. This approach has helped us in curbing the cost of licensed software and build an opportunity to invest in additional artistic and programming talent.
Tangent Animation strives to find solid team players that thrive on collaboration and community commitment to build open source capabilities. Tangent Animation is currently recruiting for an experienced Crowds Lead to work collaboratively with our studio team.
As the Crowds Lead, you will be guiding a team of crowd animators in bringing life to background characters and crowd cycles for our animation projects. Alongside the CG Supervisors on the show, you will be evaluating 3rd party software tools to outline a production workflow for simulated or animated crowd elements. You will be partnering with the Character Supervisors, the Technical Developers and other production departments to ensure that the technology integrates with the existing pipeline.
- Evaluate different crowd software to and determine the best approach to designing and directing crowd, with a strong emphasis on creative directable control
- Work closely with the TDs to develop software support tools and assist with integration tasks
- Collaborate with all the character departments to develop special character rigs that can feed into the developed crowd pipeline to achieve the creative asks from the crowds team
- Implement the department’s technical solutions in collaboration with the Animation Director
- Communicate with related departments such as animation on the necessary cycles needed to transition between various behaviors
- Work on production sequences / shots to produce crowd animation for anywhere from several to several thousand characters using the developed crowd framework
- Communicate with production management to schedule the supporting departments and sub-processes required to feed into the crowd pipeline, such as proxy rig development, character cycles & other materials development, etc.
- Distribute and assign plans to artists, in collaboration with the Production Manager and based on the inventory
- Manage, train and support your artists by inspiring them while building and maintaining a positive mindset within the department
- Troubleshoot, solve problems and find workarounds as appropriate
- Have strong composition and artistic timing
- Experience with traditional/2D animation/principles is a plus
- 5+ years of crowd/ technical lead experience in CG animation or feature film visual FX
- Strong proficiency with crowd digital content creation applications or plug-ins
- Strong proficiency with scripting languages, (i.e. Python, Lua, etc.) C/C++ is a plus
- Strong communication, and organizational skills. Ability to work effectively with various levels of creative, and production management people
- The crowd simulation lead must be something of a generalist as their job may involve aspects of modeling, rigging, layout, animation, and scripting
- Great company culture, with a team that is very technically proficient, highly motivated & excited to work on projects that will change the industry
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- Casual dress-code
Interested candidates to share a link to their demo reels, along with their resume.
Tangent Animation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted